Sunday, April 26, 2009

anyone want to celebrate?

This Thursday, April 30th, is "Poem in Your Pocket" Day.  I feel like I know a lot of weird celebratory "day"s, mostly food-related, but this one I'm actually more serious about.  Would anyone like to celebrate it with me, and possibly think of a bigger way to celebrate it?

Here are a couple links.

I've been really amazed lately by the strength poems lend me, and the impact they can carry.  They're just words, but when they express something I've always thought or felt or am just coming to know, I feel like a part of me has been completed in a way.  When someone else has known what I know-- not in the intellectual sense, but the experiential, emotional sense-- that makes me feel more known.  Poems make me feel less estranged from myself, and more aware of, and tender in, my relationships to others.  

A good poem can just get to truth-- not by making some big statement, but by being perfectly itself.  By stating the essence of something perfectly.  

I used to sing in choir, and this thing would happen sometimes when each part would harmonize perfectly-- it was like extra notes would suddenly appear all around the ones we were singing.  They were audible notes, but we weren't singing them.  They're called overtones, and apparently hearing them is a "psychoacoustic effect" (I just looked it up) caused by singers' (or instruments') natural resonances interacting in a particular way.  Is that not what happens in poetry, or fiction, when whatever life experiences you bring combine with whatever the writer has said, and the two begin to resonate?  Something strikes a chord, and something new appears in your life?  

I really think poetry does that.  Do you?

4 comments:

lauren h. said...

oh! i love your thoughts here...and this cute little holiday! i'm in!

teresa said...

1 - totally celebrating Poem in Your Pocket Day. oh! and i just decided what poem to share!

2 - group lunch to share poems maybe? or a happy hour, weather permitting?

3 - impromptu poetry reading in the middle of the plaza... too much? lol

lauren said...

If we did the impromptu poetry reading, I'd nominate you to be the main performer. :) I wish I could do more, but I just realized I'll be leaving town mid-day for a family thing! Boo! Morning coffee??

teresa said...

lol.

morning coffee it is, and we can use the rest of the day to "spread the word[s]"

;+)