Monday, November 9, 2009

go, gadget, go!


I think Inspector Gadget may have been my favorite childhood TV show. The hijinks, the gadgetry, the way Penny never got credit for solving all the mysteries -- genius! My 6-year-old self just couldn't get enough of it. And no other TV show jingle has stuck in my memory like this one (bum-ba-dum-ba-dum! In-spec-tor-Gad-get!).

I gave up hope a while ago that I'd ever see any Inspector Gadget episodes again. "Maybe it's better this way," I told myself. "It would probably just end up sad like when you re-watched Fern Gully in high school."

But oh, was I wrong. Gadget's '80s, matchbox-car-styled van...his nasally, investigator-y voice...the way he always forgets that his messages are going to self-destruct! It's all there and it's all still brilliant!!

Here you go...your ticket back to childhood.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Hahahaahah FERN GULLY?! I love how that slipped in there.

...does this mean Kazaam has also lost its charm? ;)

lauren said...

Oh my gosh, hilarious. I just had to Google that, and here's what one of the snippets said: "What do you get when you combine Shaq, Rap, and a horrible plot? You get Kazaam!" Haha!!

Wordy McGee said...

Ahhh! I LOVE Inspector Gadget. I was Penny a few years ago for Halloween. I want her super-cool watch and secret computer book. Dang, she was high-tech.