Wednesday, November 25, 2009

now and then: songs

You know that quote "the more things change, the more they stay the same"? I don't necessarily believe that, but sometimes I have noticed my own history repeating itself in funny ways. I realized recently that certain musical stylings keep winning my heart, no matter how much "cooler" I think I'm getting in adulthood.

For instance...remember the Cranberries?
Yup. First concert. Cotton balls in my ears -- age 10. Dazzled by the wailing and the spectacle.

And late-teen angst?
Oh, Dashboard...you serenaded my tender heart on many a late-night drive.

And wondering if "bass" should be spelled like the fish or like in baseball?
My brother told me in utter seriousness that Ace of Base would be the next Beach Boys. I'm not sure exactly what that meant...

Well, here are a few songs I'd currently walk 500 miles* listening to. Is it just me? Or do they resemble the old stuff? (In a good way!) (Or is this a total stretch? I know, it probably is.)


Eisley, "Marvelous Things"


Stars, "Your Ex-Lover is Dead"


The Bird & The Bee, "Love Letter to Japan"



Well, call me out. Or put up some of your past/present favorites!


* My friend's 2-year-old daughter apparently loves the Proclaimers. She sang "I'm on mah wehh!" ("I'm on my way") out of the blue in the bathtub the other day.

8 comments:

eis271828 said...

Yeah, I don't really see a whole lot of similarity. They're all good songs; is that what you meant? 500 Miles reminds me of Benny and Joon, which was one of my favorite movies growing up.

Naturally, you know of my Fiona Apple obsession of the past few years. Before that, I would listen to a single CD on repeat for a few months until I got tired of it. These included Ben Folds Five, The Cranberries, R.E.M., They Might Be Giants, Miss Saigon, Les Misérables, Dave Matthews Band, and I'm probably forgetting one or two.

lauren said...

I always thought I could handle repetition pretty well, but you take it to a whole new level. :) I actually just saw Benny and Joon for the first time last weekend! It was good. Speaking of past and present, I'm amazed by how Johnny Depp doesn't seem to age...

Sara said...

The last one is my favorite! I listened to it in my cubicle and couldn't help bopping around!

Also, did you know the Cranberries are coming to town???
http://blogs.pitch.com/wayward/2009/09/incoming_the_cranberries_midland.php

eis271828 said...

"Good"? Just good? "Soap on a rope, slightly used." Classic! I think Johnny Depp might be at his hottest in Benny and Joon.

As Roger Housden said in my memory of the introduction to 10 Poems to Change Your Life Again and Again, it can be interesting to see how your experience of something can change. I like to see how the experience of listening to a Fiona Apple song changes each day. Most days it's just, "Yep, I still like that song." Some days, though, a song suddenly strikes me as even more awesome. Either I hear a lyric for the first time, or I'm in a weird mood, I'm not sure. It's fun to find something new to cherish in something you think you know, and I happen to excel at that. (I think. You could argue that I'm just horrible at finding all the good things at once... =)

Christopher said...

Wow. I didn't know anyone else knew the Stars existed. This is the version that I listen to most often now ever since I randomly found it. And it would be one of my songs...but so would In Your Honor by Foo Fighers, so I'm not completely emo...just angsty I guess...(Dark Knight)

luke said...

i like the songs--the first two are favorites of mine. i'd add eisley's "combinations" at my top and also the stars' song "heart" as my other favorite of theirs. i hadn't heard the third and i enjoyed it.

happy thanksgiving lauren!

lauren said...

I love hearing about all your favorites!
Sara, I did see that they're coming...but the tickets were kinda pricey! I think my age-10 experience might be the only one. And I'm glad you liked The Bird & The Bee! They're kooky...sort of like someone I know...
Mark, I like what you pointed out about your experience changing as you listen to a song. I especially like discovering new lyrics too. And I think the beauty of so many things is how they unfold-- you can't possibly find all the good things at once. :)
Chris, the piano part behind your version of Ex-Lover is cool! It seems more raw altogether than the version I posted. The Foo Fighters song sounded more than angsty...dare I say "apocalyptic"? Did you ever play air guitar to it? Or air screaming?
Luke, I like the beat of "Heart," and "Combinations" is one of my favorites too. Oh but you should know...when I tried to find "Heart" on YouTube, this is what I found first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGCfDxOmAZg
You'll love it. :)

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Christopher said...

Apparently you do dare. And "Did I ever..." isn't the proper question. "Do I ever?" That's the question, and the answer is "Yes. Only EVERY SINGLE TIME I listen to it."