Monday, November 2, 2009

what would julia do?

For Halloween, I was this fine lady. Much like this fine lady, she was known for being gutsy and gregarious and joyful about life. I had no strategy whatsoever about how to spend the evening as Julia except that I'd do her voice and maybe dance around with spatulas (check and check). But I realized partway through that Julia was an awesome person to be portraying. She was gutsy. And oddly, thinking about how she'd behave helped me to be gutsy too -- at least in the instance of the cream cheese and jalapeƱo jam appetizer that I dipped into early in the evening. (It looked appropriately, but not appetizing-ly, slimy and globby.)

So, lesson learned: an apron and pearls can do the same for an adult as a Superman cape for a kid. I have a new respect for playing dress-up.



2 comments:

alicia said...

First of all, let me just say you looked beautiful in your costume. I was a fan (via pictures on f-book).

second of all, I love that the apron and pearls gave you spunk. :) I always knew you had it in ya. :)

laura said...

i love this post!! and i love the unexpected feelings that things like dressing up, give to us. thank you for sharing, lauren.

let's play dress up more often! you know how i love making the costumes!!! and who knows...they could give us more courage than ever before