I love playing the game "what was your first cd?" (or concert, cassette tape, etc.) It's fun to see what dates us (artists & technology alike), and also to get an impression of what friends were like as youngsters.
My first cd was Amy Grant. When having this conversation once, some new acquaintances actually rejected my answer, saying "Okay, what was your first non-Christian cd?" I didn't know she was a Christian artist at all; all I knew was that "Baby, Baby" was catchy and one could easily dance around the house to it. I used to sashay around while dusting (my childhood chore), pausing in front of every possible mirror to see what I would look like as a star singer. Unfortunately, I looked remarkably like a 7-year-old holding a damp sponge and wearing a huge t-shirt.
So anyway, my parents were cleaning out some old nooks and crannies recently and came across a folder of stuff my mom had tucked away -- old programs from musicals I had been in, photos, postcards from trips, and...the following.
Yep. Seven years old and already well-versed in extortion.
I looked up a bunch of Amy Grant songs on YouTube, and I actually still remember most of the words.
* "Every Heartbeat" - featuring scrunchies, suspenders, the long-lost movie set from 101 Dalmations, and love in a laundromat with matching cartoon towels
* "Baby, Baby" - too many hats, inane men holding puppies, and curtains inexplicably blowing in a backlit breeze
* "House of Love" - Geena Davis, Michael Keaton, and plenty of plaid
What was your first CD? Any favorite memories about it? Anything totally unrelated?
6 comments:
i LOOOOOVED amy grant! almost as much as mariah carey and paula abdul.
this will be no shock -- bear in mind that i have a few years on you -- but my first cd was the en vogue "whatta man" single :) i was 13.
LOVE LOVE LOVE this! haha! Great find.
My first: Michael W Smith "Change your World" THE TAPE!!!
I felt pretty awesome. Mainly because I purchased it with the whopping $10 gift card I received for WINNING THE SPELLING BEE! HEY-OH! :)
The first music I remember being that crazy about was either my tape of Madonna's self entitled that my uncle made me or a tape of Michael Jackson's Dangerous.
Although my first cd was Sister Act 2 soundtrack. Yes it was. I pretended to be Lauren Hill.
my memories of music as a wee one are melding together. i remember being diligent about writing down all the words to gangsters paradise and memorizing them...i was a kid from the hood of orange county at that point. ha! and i also recall listening to lots of celine dion & mariah carey's butterfly cd. hello sixth grade!
So awesome!!!
Tobe, we must have been kindred music spirits...I loved Paula & Mariah too! My best friend and I used to do aerobics dances to Paula.
Sara, way to go champion speller!! Hey-oh is my favorite thing anyone has said in regard to Michael W. Smith and spelling. :)
Alicia, for some reason your favorite music seems so appropriate!! And I love that your uncle made you a Madonna tape. I bet you had some killer dance moves to MJ.
Laura, something is also not surprising about your serious diligence with Gangster's Paradise...be ready, you might get a pop quiz on those lyrics soon!
My first CDs were Mariah Carey's Daydream and "Cracked Rearview" by Hootie & the Blowfish.
Leslie and I made a radio station that pretty much played all Mariah, all the time.
I remember I'd always turn down the volume on Hootie's "Running From An Angel" because I thought my mom might hear the lyric, "running to the devil." Scandalous.
Post a Comment