Wednesday, July 7, 2010

red, white and root beer

The Fourth of July has one of my favorite holidays since childhood -- including the time in fifth grade when I asked somewhat what date the Fourth was going to be.

So I wanted to mark the unforgettable date with special food, but I didn't much feel like making any pies, or flag pizzas, or what have you. (Especially no red, white and blue jello molds. No thank you.) I had a hunch I might pass the day without (gasp) baking anything.

But then inspiration struck...in the form of THIS heavenly stuff.



Shatto Root Beer Milk.

I've never been a big fan of root beer -- I used to think root beer floats were disgusting. But somehow, this creamy concoction bypassed my memory of awkwardly floaty, fizzy chunks of blech and won my heart. In one fell swoop (or a couple dreamy sips), I knew what had to be done.

Root beer ice cream. How much more American can you get?!

My good friend Google led my fellow dreamer and I to a recipe; Price Chopper donated some Root Beer concentrate to the cause (okay, sold for a small fee); and a few cups of whole milk and heavy cream later, we had ourselves a hefty tub of all-American bliss. And a spatula begging to be licked.

But...

A bowl of ice cream just doesn't seem that American. For one thing, you can't eat a bowl of ice cream without utensils. And since Americans are always on the run, we need some fast, hand-held food.  It's all about the convenience.  Plus, there's something both s'more-like and whoopie-like that's way cuter than a bowl of ice cream.

Mmhmm-- an ice cream sandwich.

So, I made some chocolate-toffee cookies, sandwiched that ice cream right on in there, and smiled as the sparks flew and crowds cheered.  (In my head.)



Happy Birthday, America. You are special, and I like your foods. Please don't take it too personally that I'm reading that one book about you.
Love,
Lauren

3 comments:

teresa said...

that looks great! i've never been a fan of root beer either (i'm a cream soda girl), but the shatto co. is so good at everything they do that i might have to give this root beer milk a try.

laura said...

oh my. those ice cream sandwiches are out of this world. love it when inspiration strikes you in the kitchen! ha!!

Sara said...

YUM!!!