How do you feel about reading a book called Why We Hate Us: American Discontent in the New Millennium?
My first thoughts:
How pompous and cynical can you be?!
Please.
I don't want to know why we hate us.
I don't know if I even think we hate us.
Who thinks we hate us?
Sensationalist.
Sooo...uhh...I had my doubts. I definitely think we have to understand our shortcomings in order to overcome them, but the book seemed practically masochistic -- why put yourself through it?
Still, a friend read it, and over the course of our conversations, I was assured that the book looks past "what's wrong with us" to assert some vision of what can be righted. So I started reading.
And aaagh, it's hitting me close to home. (I suspected it might.)
The author's analysis is pointing out and sharpening the hunger inside me for community, mutual reliance and -- most of all -- being truly known through all my highest and lowest points. Truly, this book begs to be read by multiple people at a time, and discussed and debated and explored. If anyone's interested...lemme know. And I'll be posting some excerpts that have impacted me as well. Such as these.
(enjoy. ;))
--------------------------------------------------
"Americans over the past fifty years have been exhorted to choose most every aspect of their lives like great existential consumers: not just where to live, but how to live, what to believe in, how to be in a family or a relationship, which community to join or reject, and even what type of body to inhabit."
"Americans, compensating for the loss of family and neighborhood bonding, are growing more likely to over-identify emotionally with almost random objects of desire and interest: sports teams, rock bands, political factions, religion, ethnic history, or designer labels. Grasping for belonging, they are more inclined to label or brand themselves so their identifications are apparent to the outside world."
And the current kicker...
"We have imposed on ourselves a bizarre notion that a life should have a message, just like a candidate or an advertising campaign. That's part of why the hipster wears the gas station shirt, the New Jersey phony wears the cowboy hat, and Paul Bascombe [a fictional character to whom the author makes many references] wears plaid Bermuda shorts. A life needs a good theme these days. Without being known by people in a community, we need spin and a message."
--------------------------------------------------
3 comments:
INTERESTED!
yes. please. say the word, and i'll get a copy--this needs to be discussed.
Ohhh, hooray! So awesome. Would you guys like to get copies and we can discuss? I can check out Half Price Books sometime...not sure if it'll be there.
Post a Comment