Tuesday, March 10, 2009

lynda barry

You know how sometimes you wonder if you're crazy until you find out someone else thinks like you do?  That's kind of how I feel about Lynda Barry.  She's a little crazier than me in some ways (so far...wait til I've lived long enough), but in other ways it seems like she explores the kinds of things I wonder about.  It's fun to look through her book What It Is, from which I took this illustration, and get lost in the same mysterious spaces she explores.  Our selves are crazy places...it would be cool to represent that in artwork and writing as freely as she does. She's known for her graphic novels, but I hesitate to really call them that since they're much more stream-of-consciousness (both visually and in writing) than that name implies.  This book is just full of play-- she tells a bit of story, then pauses to wonder about things like memory and music, then goes on with the story-- it's very dreamlike but still quite real.  It's organic, like we are.  Despite all the comparisons, our minds are not machines...and it's nice to have such a tangible, fascinating reminder of that nearby.


No comments: