(It ends rather abruptly because it's one point in a list.)
--
Learn to enjoy things without owning them. Owning things is an obsession in our culture. If we own it, we feel we can control it, and if we can control it, we feel it will give us more pleasure. The idea is an illusion. Many things in life can be enjoyed without possessing or controlling them. Share things. Enjoy the beach without feeling you have to buy a piece of it. Enjoy public parks and libraries.
--
One gift I'd like to give myself this year is giving up more of that illusion.
4 comments:
thanks for the reminder. we all need that around this time of year and all throughout.
If you would like company in such an endeavor, consider my hand up. :)
I'm glad you could appreciate that quote as well!
Now, for the quote you posted...so good! This might feel stronger than I mean it to but I've wondered about this idea of a 'quick capturing' of things being reflected in the modern art of photography....don't get me wrong, I love taking pictures, but I've just kind of sat back and watched the trend of it grow...and wondered...?
:-)
I'm glad you all liked the quote! I would love company in such an endeavor. :)
And Lauren, I agree with you about photography...I love taking pictures, too, but I wonder sometimes why I can get so intent on capturing something with a photo. Sometimes I think it takes me away from enjoying the thing or the moment. (And actually, having a blog sometimes makes me that way too...having an experience interrupted by the thought "I should blog about this!" And usually I don't end up blogging about it anyway. :))
Post a Comment