So far the list includes: two bags, fabric coasters, three-ish pillows, a gingerbread linzertorte, raspberry shortbread, peanut butter-oatmeal-amazing cookies, and most recently, these absurdly out-of-my-league killers of free time.
I intended from the outset to use this week for some serious crafting, but honestly, I don't know if I'm up to that list. Why do I do this to myself?!
If you can tell me, please know I'll reward you with food...and maybe a little pinecone made with fabric squares.
8 comments:
Why do you do this to yourself? you ask. It is because you are human and as such you are forever divided between wants, cans, wills, shoulds, and won'ts. There is doing and there is dreaming and each is needed in the world and each is a solid rock on which to stand but in between these rocks runs a cold current and the dreams must be bore over and sewn. But all to often the dreamers travel back and forth and back and do not sew and simply weigh themselves down with dreams. This is to be expected. They are, after all, the dreamers. But the un-sewn dreams slowly harden into guilt and still the dreamers do not think to let go and slowly those dreamers gather more and more guilt and slowly lose strength and one day find themselves unable to pull themselves on to either rock and another dreamer is lost to the cold current in between. So carry your dreams if you intend to sew, but do not carry them as guilt. Just dream. And, if nothing else, realize that those are seven-layer bars, not cookies. Trust me, Iowans know their bars. smittenkitchen.com is obviously not in the know and therefore not worth the time of any serious confectionist.
Here it is. I found the missing "o".
You're right about more than just the bars, Chris. (Although smittenkitchen IS worth the time of any serious confectionist!!)
I think sometimes people who dream begin to place some of their self-worth in their dreams, and think that if they don't have concrete evidence of their dreams being actualized, it's almost as if they have no evidence for themselves in the world. Creators know they have a distinct fingerprint, and feel compelled to leave it somewhere outside themselves, just to prove they were there, they thought something, they had an idea. In fact, that's probably a human desire -- the desire of all thinkers and creators, which would be everyone. Some more compelled than others, though, to express their vison. You're right, that push-and-pull is a very human thing (although I feel extra aware of it from working with, and knowing so many, creative people (like yourself!)).
So, did you come close to or meet your goal? The world wants to know.
Because writing lists can be therapeutic.
Because you are creative as all get out.
But because ultimately, it is vacation DAMMIT so you should be able to enjoy it and if that means throwing your lists out the window, so be it!
Cheers to breathing in this new year! :)
p.s. But when you DO create please show us all...because I know you will and it will be awesome.
I'm so lucky to have such encouraging friends! Well, I only completed 1.25 bags and a gingerbread linzertorte. BUT I also organized my supplies, got more supplies, and got a teensy bit closer to having a use-able crafting room!! I will definitely post pics when more has been accomplished. (But Mark, you already saw the finest fruits of my labors.)
Make sure you don't feel bad about not getting your list done. You got a lot more accomplished than I did, and I wasn't on vacation!
Completely unrelated item, but I found a cupcake you might want to study: http://www.steelheadstudio.com/100cupcakes/othello.jpg via http://www.steelheadstudio.com/100cupcakes/ and yes, I will inform Laura. =)
Hahaha! I need to show Amy that cupcake. Polka dots, my eye.
Post a Comment