This is the voice of my co-worker Debbie.
The bags of cookies she's referring to are just a few of about 50+ bags that she makes at Christmastime. With about 4 each of 5 varieties of cookies or bars in each bag, that's around 1,000 cookies she makes every year. Yeah, I know.
I owe most of my culinary knowledge, passion, and nifty-gifty supplies to her. My mentor since I arrived at work full-time, and still a full-time encourager, Debbie has one of the most generous hearts I've ever known, and a major flair for flattery. This woman can make you feel like a million bucks when you woke up feeling like five cents. She's patient, understanding, intelligent, genuine, and uplifting. It would be easy to clean out an entire display of thank-you cards just to show thanks for the little things she does, but she doesn't see the need for them anyway. And I think she needs a thank-you card for that.
Her quote above is from the week of Christmas, when she commandeered the kitchen of our dear mutual friend and cooked up one of the best lunch feasts ever for only four people. After pushing homemade hummus on us and protesting at our offers to help, she filled our plates with food and filled the rest of us to brimming and over with laughter and conversation.
There's so much I would like to learn from Debbie, but the best gift is just getting to enjoy her. Her giving-ness teaches me to enjoy life. Thanks, Debbie. This is one thank-you note you can't refuse!
No comments:
Post a Comment