Friday, April 1, 2011

"all my stirring becomes quiet"...welcome, April + National Poetry Month

It's April again, National Poetry Month, and I've been hungering for some good words to sum up life lately -- and to take me far away from it. I'll be posting a poem a day, like last year, for whomever may enjoy it. Hope that means you. :)

Let's start with this one...

I
(from Sabbaths: Poems by Wendell Berry)

I go among trees and sit still.
All my stirring becomes quiet
around me like circles on water.
My tasks lie in their places
where I left them, asleep like cattle.

Then what is afraid of me comes
and lives a while in my sight.
What it fears in me leaves me,
and the fear of me leaves it.
It sings, and I hear its song.

Then what I am afraid of comes.
I live for a while in its sight.
What I fear in it leaves it,
and the fear of it leaves me.
It sings, and I hear its song.

After days of labor,
mute in my consternations,
I hear my song at last,
and I sing it. As we sing
the day turns, the trees move.

2 comments:

Sara said...

YES! I love your month of poetry postings! I was seriously just thinking about it the other day and wondering if you weren't doing it this year.

Also, Wendell Berry is the best. So endearing. We saw him speak last fall and I really wanted to just give him a hug. Great choice!

lauren said...

I remember when you were going to see him! I'd still like to hear about that. That's fun that he was so huggable!

I found myself wishing in other months of the year that I had such a good excuse to post poetry, so I couldn't let April pass me by! I'm glad you like the poetry too!