Thursday, April 21, 2011

film noir, poem-style

I can almost see the silhouette of a trench-coated man on a seedy street corner when I read this one... How 'bout you?

The Chase
by Kevin Young

I didn't have a rat's chance.
Soon as she walked in in

That skin of hers
violins began. You could half hear

The typewriters jabber
as she jawed on: fee, find, me,

poor, please.
Shadows & smiles, she was.

Strong scent of before-rain

Her pinstripe two-lane
legs, her blackmail menthol.

She had all the negatives

Hidden safe
and would not reveal the place.

Before you could say
denouement, I was on her case--

Slant hat, broad
back, my entrenched coat

Of fog. Fleabags,
neon blinds withdrawn--

The foreshadows fell on her face.

All night I tailed, stalked
the joint. Found

Her with the butler
playing patty-cake.

Baker's man. She nurse
him like a beer

till dawn. Doozy.
Was from her woozy.

My eyes wet.
Binocular mist.

I took two to the chest

Was all
rain, her blurring face

Her snuffed, stubbed-out
lipstick cigarette.

No comments: