morning with Lola and Lucy
and silent receiving
of each fascinating thing
that the earth served—
scents on the breeze,
fresh growth at their feet.
I’m not skilled at hunting
the underbrush but
my native ears perked alike
at an audible shimmering high above—
the sound of salty foam
roiling on ocean sand.
Our senses sharply inhaled
a cirrus sky
filled by feathers and vapors.
All as one, they passed by –
a thin, pulsating sheet of wings
beating a shimmering lather
on a northward path.
My eyes lingered
with my mind
there
as I wished them back,
wished another wave
to wash over the beach of
my senses and remind me
how suddenly creation can surprise,
how fully nature’s favors can
please.
But my fine instructors
were already nose-down-
content again
with morning soil.
So I stilled my humanness
with morning soil.
So I stilled my humanness
that wants what isn't
instead of loving what is
and returned
to the chilled,
punched steel
seat
where my body
rooted and welcomed
the task of watching
two dogs
sniff at the ground.
to the chilled,
punched steel
seat
where my body
rooted and welcomed
the task of watching
two dogs
sniff at the ground.
No comments:
Post a Comment