I know, there are usually a few steps in between where I am now and mom-hood...but I've bypassed those for the time being in order to spend a few evenings (starting last night) making dinner, helping with homework, doing dishes, packing lunches, and feeding the dog. I also particularly enjoy singing to the Mamma Mia soundtrack with the 13-year-old, being quizzed on world geography by the 11-year-old, and admiring the various stuffed animals owned by the 9-year-old. These kids are so great. I'm grateful that doing this makes me focus on something other than myself...it's such a good feeling, and something I need to do more of in my life. It puts all the crazy goings-on of my mind in much better perspective.
One thing I had forgotten about this job, though, is how it requires me to be part-sleuth.
I have never been in a house with so many light switches in my life.
And they're all hooked up to different things! In the living room alone there are two light switches to three different lamps, two lamps with pull-chains, and a ceiling fan with two lamps controlled by a two-section button on a remote.
Then there are the three main kitchen switches (some to track lighting), the 2 auxiliary lights, the one bulb over the pantry and the one in the laundry room where the dog gets fed.
(Side note: This could be a good place for me to try out some food photography...the lighting options are endless.)
There's the bathroom light, the hall-garage light, the entryway light, the dining room light, the piano room light and lamp.
There are the three switches to the sun room, plus two tucked away behind an armoire and beside the landing that lead who knows where (but I did try them last night while trying to find a switch that controlled the two living room pull-chain lamps--lazily not wanting to walk all the way to the corner to pull them).
Three more to get to the computer room in the basement; two to get upstairs.
Two to get into the master bedroom; two to have a fully-lit shower, one more to get the bathroom counter well-lit and one to go to the bathroom. And one in the closet. And a bedside lamp and a reading-area lamp.
Yes, I am in swanky surroundings, but good heavens, I get dizzy flippin' all these switches!
So here's a little song I thought of, in honor of being the "mother flippin'"... It's kind of a stretch, and pretty much the opposite of "maternal," but oh well. Be good, don't talk like this at home! Or in general! And wear your reflective harness when you go outside!
No comments:
Post a Comment