I just spelled it that way so you'd know it was PROduce the noun, not proDUCE like the verb. It's not an imperative, it's a celebration!...of two great experiences I had tonight with people and produce.
First, I was at the store buying some PROduce and an older lady rolled her cart up beside me to ask which of two little bundles of asparagus I thought she should buy. They were mostly the same, but we analyzed the benefits of each bundle together and agreed that the bundle on the left would do well for her. She also asked if I thought steaming them would be best, since boiling takes out some of the nutrients, and I told her I thought it would be a great idea-- especially since the amount of water you use to steam vegetables takes less time to heat up than the amount you'd use to boil them. Plus the nutrients benefit, of course. She was ADORABLE, and I really loved how she was so comfortably inquisitive that she'd stop a random twenty-something to ask her cooking advice. Since I've been on this earth about 50 fewer years than she has, and cooking for about 60 fewer, I felt very flattered and happy.
And THEN, enter Rick. Rick came by our house to sell us some fruit! He's part of a small fruit company based in Nebraska that operates in seven states and sells people large quantities of fresh produce door-to-door. As he chatted outside with the roommate that answered the door, my other roommate and I chuckled quietly with each other (the window was open so we couldn't be too loud). I have no willpower against living, breathing, friendly-seeming people who want my money, so I could sympathize with the fact that Pushover Roommate (it's not bad, I'd call myself the same thing) was out there a while. But after she came inside with a gleam in her eye and told us we HAD to try this fruit and talk to this cute older man, Skeptical Roommate and I found out that yes, his PROduce was delish, and yes, he was in fact very cute and friendly. So, a check, a sticky handshake and a box teeming with produce later, we have another friend. Rick, thanks for the fruit. And the tips on making tasty cocktails with it.
2 comments:
i admit to being the pushover roommate. i like to say i give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but you can label me a pushover. i have no qualms with that. ha!
No, after hearing your story about the mean magazine sales guy, you are NOT a pushover! Although it is easier to say "no" when they get belligerent. Still, you're no pushover in reality. I'm glad we bought that ridiculous amount of fruit together!
Post a Comment