She also told me about a holiday called "Fastnacht," which many people in her Pennsylvania Dutch region of the same state celebrate. It's on the same day as Mardi Gras, and means about the same thing, but instead of being about feasting in general, it's more focused: people celebrate by feasting on donuts all day long! (According to my research, "The making of fasnachts helped use up fat and sugar prior to fasting [during Lent].") So on her first Fastnacht in Kansas City, this Pennsylvanian quite naturally breezed into work with a box full of donuts and greeted her coworkers with a cheery "Happy Fastnacht!" She was met with blank stares and quizzical glances. (Once they found out what she was talking about, I don't think they were too disappointed. Who could disdain a holiday that's all about eating donuts?)
Well, once she told me this story, and after we had already found out that we share a love of donuts, how could we not make it a point to celebrate Fastnacht Day in the traditional manner this year?
So, everyone, please join me in using up your spare fat and sugar! I've been doing my part...are you doing yours?
Happy Fastnacht!!
*(I also found out just this morning that there was an accident at the other Fluffy Fresh in town... Thank goodness everyone's okay...and it didn't happen to my Fluffy Fresh!)
2 comments:
you know i'm always in for celebrating with donuts!!! yesterday was so fun! there was a light dusting of powdered sugar on my front seat this morning that helped me remember our lovely morning commute with donuts in tow!!
In Poland (or in Polish regions of the US) it's Paczki day. Paczkis are a little like donuts, but only in the looks and baked goods categories. I've never had one, but here's some info: http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/holidaysfestivals/a/paczkiday.htm
Next year, I should learn how to make them and celebrate.
Post a Comment