Anyway, I found this song tonight after some excessive poking around on iTunes. The time passes way too quickly that way...but at least I found someone interesting! Her name is Karine Polwart.
"Daisy"
This song is an interesting one to me. It has kind of a message of self-protection, and the sad truth of the world-- that you can't always trust people, and you can't quite afford to be innocent. I feel right now like I'm going through life as that girl in the song-- opening my eyes and ears a little wider than my arms, asking a few more questions. And keeping a few more cards in my hands, I guess. I don't really like the message that we have to be afraid, or be warned against others, or mask our vulnerability for our own sake-- but I do believe we have to be wise in knowing ourselves well enough to preserve our innocence and the natural love and honesty that are a part of it. To a degree, her message seems to be that innocence is a liability. But I don't want to look at it that way. Ignorance is a liability-- but an open-eyed innocence can sometimes be much more wise, and almost always more healing, than worldly familiarity. It can penetrate to our deepest needs and fears, and others', with love and concern and without judgment. We can decide to be open to our deepest, most innocent emotions, in a way that releases love. Although...we might benefit from asking for a little Help there.
No comments:
Post a Comment