Wednesday, September 8, 2010

bye-bye, santa

We drove up a sloping street to a blinking stoplight.

I logged in to Facebook.

We peered through our open windows at the idyllic garden lots past the intersection. Things didn't look right...

I scrolled down on my news feed. Ah -- wanna read this. "I was about to post that this would be FTF's LAST FIRST FRIDAY of the season..."

Wait...where were all the cars? Where was the long line? "Oh my gosh, I hope they're still...

"...but something juicy popped up yesterday. So I think you'll see me again in October."

... OPEN!!" A vintage trailer appeared in the dappled afternoon light.

Oh thank goodness.

Happy chatter of relief.

Snow cones will continue...for a few more weeks.

------------------------------------------

When I saw on FB that my favorite summer diversion is nearing its close for the season, I felt like a distraught little kid discovering the truth about Santa. Apparently it had never occurred to me that slurping icy treats in a sunny, buzz-y garden wouldn't last right through fall and winter to next spring.

I'll have some adjusting to do, without those near-weekly trips to the trailer in the blazing heat. But I'm definitely thankful for it. It's been the site of some favorite memories and a source of much-needed inspiration -- and those will stick with me with quite a while. Sort of like the syrupy handprint of a two-year-old on black pants.



PS...If you haven't made it to the trailer yet, you can still get snowy freshness in another form!
This place now carries "snow pops" in the same awesome flavors as you find at the trailer, but they're in an extra-convenient, available-more-often, you-could-even-drive-while-eating-this-but-don't-say-I-said-so format. :)
(Jo and I are thoroughly enjoying our lemon prickly pear pops. Who wouldn't?)

3 comments:

Michelle said...

If you look really closely in the reflection behind you guys you will see me taking a picture on my cell phone after just having enjoyed my coconut curry snow pop (or curry coconut, I can't remember...)!!!

teresa said...

YAY! that means i get to bid a proper adieu.

Sara said...

Woohoo!!! Can't wait to try it out!