Thursday, September 2, 2010

can you dig it?

I recently had a minor epiphany: I like pretty-colored foods.

This is a good thing, because I used to eat only white foods. My friend's dad made fun of me for it. I attribute my culinary growth partly to his intimidating presence -- no way I wasn't going to eat that cactus veggie something on my plate with Randy glowering above me.

Anyway, I was recently given some of the most delicious stuff known to humankind from a talented locavore and coworker with whom I share a birthday! She called it "spiced tomato jam." It was like heaven in a jar, my friends. It led me to the special salad at Eden Alley two weeks later, which boasted a spiced tomato and golden raisin compote over warm brie cheese, with croutons that resembled eggless french toast adorning my plate. Healthy it was not. (I think I heard the mixed greens gasping for air.)

And then THIS VERY MORNING, while driving in to work, NPR featured a story about canning stuff! And posted pretty pictures of stuff in cans! Like a row of veggies in a new garden, I do believe the stars have aligned.

I'm adding this to my list for 26: learn how to can stuff.

Resources:
Urban Homesteading Classes at Badseed local urban market - scroll down for Canning & Preserves

1 comment:

Sara said...

I wholeheartedly support this addition! In fact, I told a friend awhile ago I would join her for such a venture. It hasn't panned out...but I am still up for it! (although I'm afraid due to a CERTAIN SQUIRREL I have little goodies to offer. But I will help!!)