Wednesday, September 1, 2010

storycorps coming to kc


Most of you have probably heard snippets from StoryCorps on NPR -- it's the organization and radio show that captures interviews between people who want to preserve their memories through a recorded conversation. When I heard that StoryCorps is coming to KC, I started thinking about who I'd like to take there and interview. First thought was my parents, but then I realized how much I'd like to capture little tidbits of all of my relationships. Every person's personality is like a little thumbprint, and I love how StoryCorps captures that in audio.

Who would you interview if you had the chance? What topics might you want to talk about?
Here's StoryCorps' "great questions list," too, and a few great conversations from the website to get you thinking.

"Have me and your mom ever disappointed you?"
(what an amazing 8-year-old!)

Robert Patterson, who has Alzheimer's disease, talking with his wife, Karen
"I can remember things that occur in my heart much better than things that occur in my head."

"How come I didn't scare you?"

"You and your sister couldn't tell us apart. And we couldn't tell you two apart."

2 comments:

eis271828 said...

I would like to record everything, and I very nearly do in my head. ;) I don't often like interview questions, though, and rarely feel comfortable asking them. I get to know people by just observing them. Along those lines, I probably learn more about people when they ask me questions than I learn from them when I ask them questions.

As far as preserving memories in audio format, I'm mostly for that. I think it would be best accomplished if the people being recorded didn't know about it. Otherwise, they would be too conscious of mispronouncing 'infuriating' and the like. At least, I think I would.

Sara said...

OH MY GOSH I AM THINKING IN ALL CAPS RIGHT NOW! I love everything about this and somehow, NO! I had NOT heard about StoryCorps...but I am about to go listen to each and every link you posted. AND man oh man...who would I love to interview? Adam would be a fun one...so would my brother...but I think I would say my Grandma. She's a hoot and I'd love to record her mix of sass and wisdom. Thanks for posting friend!!!